The Serengeti is world famous for a good reason. Not only is the migration of over 1.5 million wildebeest and other animals through its plains and woodlands the most spectacular wildlife event on earth, but it abounds with other wildlife superlatives. The Serengeti is home to the world’s largest population of wildebeest, zebra, eland, Thomson’s and Grant gazelles. Serengeti hyena commute to and from where the wildebeest are and with them we have nomadic lions on the prowl. On top of this, it is scenically beautiful and has a wonderful sunny climate of cool nights and warms days.
So if you are the kind of guest who feels uncomfortable with humankind’s restless desire to subjugate nature and to dominate everything, you will enjoy the Serengeti, it is the natural world at its very best. Human beings take second place here. You come only to witness wildlife and nature.
The towering granite kopjes of the southern plains, the 18-20 foot crocodiles of the Grumeti Rivers, shoulder to shoulder masses of wildebeest on the move, the big cats who lord the plains, and the chilling openness of the Goal Mountains are safari experiences that instill humility.
You get very close to the core of things in the Serengeti –beauty innocence, cruelty violence, and tranquility. When you leave and your thoughts float back to the savannah and woodlands, they bring with them a longing to be part of this natural world again.
Wildebeest are the driving force of the Serengeti driving there are estimated 1.5 million of them, probably more. They, together with some 80,000 zebra, over 500,000 Grant and Thomson gazelles, 18,000 elands as well as predators and scavengers create a vast ecological powerhouse, roaming the beautiful landscape, setting the boundaries, changing the scenery, altering the vegetation, and laying down the limits and the lifestyle of just about everything else that lives here. But don’t let the grand scale of this natural mechanism overwhelm you. There is a variety of mammals and birds here that only Africa can boast of.
It is only when you gaze upon the Serengeti that the vastness of the place becomes real. Many people think of it as one destination to be seen in two days before rushing somewhere else. How wrong, there are treeless plains, mountains, close canopy Riverine forest and springs. Additionally the wildlife and the character of the place vary dramatically from one season to another.
All the classic big game animals of Africa are found in the Serengeti, of recent importance is the introduction of black rhino and wild dogs, the rhino has been introduced to the northern and the southern regions.
- Witness the spectacular great migration
- Experience the incredible Tanzania wildlife and landscape
- Admire Africa’s big cats
- Glide silently over the golden grass plains of Serengeti on a balloon safari
- Game viewing
Game viewing by vehicle is the best way to see animals in most game and national parks, well maintained road networks make the animals easier to be viewed closer.
- Walking safaris
A walking safari is the personal way to experience wildlife and those small things which you might miss while in a vehicle. You will be accompanied by an armed park ranger and well-trained guides during the walking safari.
- Balloon safari
Glide silently over the open plains of Serengeti either from the South, north, and central part.
There are many accommodations in the Serengeti which range from hotels of the highest international standard to simple, but comfortable lodges, and permanent tented camps.
When to go
The Serengeti is a year-round destination with access to all parts throughout the year.
There are airstrips in all regions of the park and are used by scheduled flights
Access by road is possible through the established entry point and exit points
The Serengeti is on almost everybody’s wish list and can be combined with any destination not only in Tanzania but the whole of East Africa.
Best time to go for a Game Viewing in the Park.
Excellent game viewing on the southern with the great migration around. Home to an incredibly diverse wildlife population including the big cats, a wide range of predators, and an amazing range of bird species including flamingoes.
Good game viewing with the migration gone, the area is almost left with less crowd. Excellent sighting of the big cats, predators, and an amazing range of bird’s species including flamingoes.
The area becomes much dry, but still offering average game viewing for the big cats and away from the crowds.
- Excellent game viewing on the central Serengeti with the great migration around. Home to an incredibly diverse wildlife population including the big cats, a wide range of predators, and an amazing range of bird species.
- Excellent game viewing even when the migration is not around in the central Serengeti. Home to an incredibly diverse wildlife population including the big cats, a wide range of predators, and an amazing range of bird species.
- The onset of the short rain in the central Serengeti, the grass are tall and some of the roads are not passable, game viewing is average compared to other months.
- Excellent game viewing on the western Serengeti with the great migration around. Home to an incredibly huge crocodiles recorded in the wild and an opportunity to witness them hunting and diverse wildlife population including the big cats, a wide range of predators, and an amazing range of bird species. The tour can be extended to include Lake Victoria excursion.
- The western becomes drier with river waters shrinking, only some small lagoons are left field with water, this offers excellent hippos sighting. General game viewing is good at these time.
- The onset of short rains on the western Serengeti, which also marks the arrival of the Great migration from the Maasai Mara on transits to the short grass plains of Serengeti. These two months offers excellent sighting of crocodiles hunting and big cats.
- Excellent game viewing on the Northern Serengeti with the great migration around. Home to an incredibly diverse wildlife population including the big 5, a wide range of predators, and an amazing range of bird species.